Friday, February 6, 2009

rules to live by

When you think of a nerd, a jock, a cheerleader, a very distinct image comes to mind. The nerd is smart, dorky looking, usually has glasses and is kind of a loser. The jock walks around with their varsity jackets and the cheerleader is supposed to be pretty, ditzy, and peppy. Stereotypes have become so commonplace in our society that people actually think of them as rules to abide by in order to be a jock, nerd, or cheerleader. But who decides these rules and why does everyone accept them as true? I recently read a poem called "Girl" by Jamaica Kincaid, which talks about the rules a girl must follows to become a proper lady. So, here is my rendition of a poem in this manner. This is what you have to do to become the best little sister...

This is how you become the best lil’ sis’ ever. Be annoying, be adorable, be mischievous, be sly; this is how you get away with every this is how your older sister always takes the blame; never get in trouble always be the favorite; this is how you sneak in her room when she is not home and take her clothes this is how you put them away so she does not notice; what if she notices; she will not because this is how you leave 
her room seemingly untouched. Always want what she has, only want what she has, always get what she has; this is how you can get away with anything, this is how you make everyone laugh and this is how you become the favorite. This is how you pretend not to know any better, this is how you are always innocent. This is how you know all of her secrets, this is how you embarrass her and make her made, this is how you become her best friend; what if I do not want to be her best friend, you want to be her best friend because that is what sisters are for. This is how you make your parents think you are asleep when you are really playing games, this is how you love your older sister no matter what. This is how you put on makeup like your sister, this is how you dress like her, this is how you act like her. This is how you act like the adorable, lovable, devilish little sister she always wanted. This is how you become the closest of friends that only sisters can be.

5 comments:

  1. This is a great poem. This emulates my younger sister and I'm sure other people's younger siblings as well. You blog is very pretty as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! I'm a little sister and a big sister and this sums up the role of a little sister perfectly. This is how I act towards my older sister and how my little sister acts towards me. Your opening is great as well, very insightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This perfectly describes the relationship between the little sister and the older sister. Although I have no older sister or younger sister this poem greatly describes all the sister relationships I've noticed. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh hey there "da blogger"...in case you didnt know im "rachel...da OTHER blogger"... you inspired me!
    your poem....ALSO inspires me. although I am not a little sister i felt that your poem allowed me to leave my being as and elder and step into the shoes of a younger sibling.
    well done i say....well done

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jojoa! This poem is great. Even though I'm not a younger sister I have one. Being an older brother I know understand that all you younger sisters have formed a cult and have your own rules to annoy all of us older siblings. Well done.

    ReplyDelete